10/31/07

Questions and a pattern.

First. I have been invited to join a local group of ladies for a fiber related intro. I would like to introduce them to the LOVELY people that I have met through this medium and would like some assistance in figuring out how to make a "sidebar" that contains links. I have no clue how to go about creating it properly and have at least a dozen people I would like to have easier acess to. Any help would be appreciated.
Now, on to the pattern. (cc)

To introduce you all to "Twisted and Broken" I present this fuzzy image.
It is a fingerless mitt with a broken cable cuff.
I used some lovely wool that was sent to me by my SP. It is 100% wool from Valley Yarns. In my design attempt I used size 10 (us) double pointed needles and an odd circular that floats around my craft stuff. I think it is a size 3, but something to hold the cables and eventually the thumb stitches. One skein is enough to make a pair and I will be trying many other yarns on this pattern, though I will likely bring the needles down a size.
To start, using your favorite method cast on 36. If using circular needles definately put in a marker of some type.
Base row: Knit 2 Purl 2 across row
(counting now)
Row 1: Knit 2 through the back of the stitch and purl 2 through the back of the stitch.
Rows 2,3,4 : repeat row 1
Row 5: hold the first 2 stitches to the front, knit the next two. Return the held stitches to the needle and purl them. Repeat this to the end of the round.
This completes the first set of broken cables. Repeat rows 1 through 5 twice more and the cuff portion is complete.( to count, rows 6 through 15)
Row 16: knit through the back.
Rows 17,18,19 : repeat row 16
Row 20: Knit 17 through the back, make 1 by knitting through the front then the back. Make 1 again then knit 17 through the back. This is where the thumb increases begin.
Row 21: ktb 17 make 1 ktb 2 make 1 ktb 17
Row 22: ktb 17 make 1 ktb 4 make 1 ktb 17
Row 23: ktb 17 make 1 ktb 6 make 1 ktb 17
Row 24: ktb 17 make 1 ktb 8 make 1 ktb 17
Row 25: ktb 17 make 1 ktb 10 make 1 ktb 17
Row 26: ktb 17 make 1 ktb 12 make 1 ktb 17
Row 27: ktb 48
rows 28 through 36, ktb
Row 37: ktb 18, set aside 12 in keeper or spare circular, ktb 18
Row 38: ktb 36
Rows 39, 40, 41: repeat row 38
Row 42: ktb 1 ptb (through the back) 1 36
Rows 43, 44, 45: repeat row 42
Row 46: Loosely bind off 36
Thumb: Pick ip your held back 12 stitches and tie in your yarn. (I suggest holding a tail of at least 6 inches so you can tie up the small gap when you are weaving in the tails at the end.)
Row 1 thumb: ktb
Rows 2,3,4: ktb
Row 5: ktb 1, ptb 1.
Row 6: repeat row 5
Row 7: LOOSELY bind off thumb stitches.
Weave in your tails and begin again.
They are made in such a way that you wear in the different hands. I suggest making them on a size 8 if you have petite hands and 9 for medium size and 10 for larger. Mine are done on a 10 so I am going to try to felt them a mite to make them fit more snugly.
This pattern is my own design and I would love to see pictures of things made form it but please, no commercial distribution and I might want to make some money off it someday.
Any comments, corrections and links to FO's are welcome.

2 comments:

Grace said...

i absolutely plan to make them I need to finish up some sample knitting, which should take another week or so and then I will get right on it, glad you wrote out the pattern!!

Anonymous said...

That's so cute! I think I'll knit up a pair ;-) And the yarn looks (yikes) PINK in the picture!!!! I totally know it's not, but that's how it looks on my screen! LOL!

~Secret Pal

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.